I see people raving about expensive cars and the pleasure of road trips. Not that I am averse to car drives but I feel that it is a bit over rated. Most of the times I see people who drive cars pitying the people on bikes as if owning something expensive gives you an edge over everything else.
If I want to find pleasure out on the road, it would any day be on a motorcycle. You can feel the wind in your hair and become one with the surrounding rather than sit inside a car smelling its interiors.
In a car you’re always in a compartment, and because you’re used to it you don’t realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV. You’re a passive observer and it is all moving by you boringly in a frame.On a cycle the frame is gone. You’re completely in contact with it all. You’re in the scene, not watching it anymore and the sense of presence is overwhelming.
——Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
1. Getting a lot of Likes on a Picture/Status – This year I got 370 likes on a Facebook pic. I’m still not happy :(.
2. Being Popular – In my freshman year of college I was one of the most popular kids at my university; everyone knew my name. I never felt more alone.
3. Being in love – It’s really hard to focus on other things that matter when you’re in love.
4. Warm Showers – Warm showers waste time, and they always leave me feeling sedated, cold showers wake me up and remind me that I’m alive.
5. Spending the Weekend Watching Netflix – Netflix is like heroin, watching one episode is never enough.
6. Getting a Girl’s Phone Number – I’ve gotten many girls’ phone numbers in my life, but many of these interactions never led to dates. Sometimes the girl doesn’t text back, sometimes the girl flakes, other times she stood me up. Numbers are fun to get – but there’s a long road between getting her # and getting her on a date.
7. Finding Truth – Tesla was right – he also died alone.
8. Fitting in – The “in” we seek is a social construct, a carrot on stick created by our brains to distract us from the fact that no matter how many friends we have we are all destined to die alone ;).